Sunday 7 December 2008

Koyasan, Wakayama

This must be the least updated blog in Blogger. I've only written 3 entries in 2007 and only one this year. I'll create an entry today so Blogger does not delete my blog due to inactivity :)

I've worked in several countries in Asia and Japan has consistently stood out as a place that I want to visit regularly. Last November I spent 3 weeks travelling from Tokyo heading toward Hiroshima and then flew out of the country from Nagoya. The places that I covered were Tokyo, Nikko, Kyoto, Nara, Himeiji, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Koyasan, Nagoya, and Ise. Of all, I found the most interesting or unique was my experience at Koyasan.

Mount Koya (Koyasan) is the center of Shingon Buddhism, a Buddhist sect which was introduced to Japan in 805 by Kobo Daishi (aka Kukai), one of the most significant personalities in Japan's religious history. Over one hundred temples stand in the small town on top of the wooded mountain (source: Japan Guide).



I travelled by train from Osaka and the journey was about 2 hours. The rural villages on hill tops were beautiful. A complete getaway from bustling Osaka.



The rail tracks ran along the edge of mountains and passing by several small wooden train stops.






The final ascend to Koyasan is by the funicular train. The main town (Koya town) is about 1000 meters above sea level.



And after about 5 minutes of train ride, Voila !



My main intention to visit Koyasan was to experience temple lodging. This is the temple that I stayed for two nights.




This is how my room looked like ...



The view through the room window ...



I arrived around 7pm so vegetarian dinner was served immediately, prepared by a monk ...





After dinner, I did not go out as the temple has a curfew time. The main gate will be closed at 10pm. Anyway it was very cold outside, around zero deg Celcius. So I decided to sleep as I was quite tired after travelling from Osaka. But wait ..... where is the bed? I didn't see any bed or mattress or futon or sarong. Then came a knock on the door, and the same monk who prepared my dinner showed up again with a smile. Oh I see ....



The following morning all the guests (five including me) were woken up by the monks at 6am and we joined them for rites and rituals (fire ceremony) and chantings. I didn't understand a word or meaning behind those rituals and the worst thing of all was I had to kneel for 2 hours during the entire process. After the ceremony, we went back to our own rooms for a vegetarian breakfast.



Being inspired by all the chantings and rituals, I decided that it might be time for my own enlightenment .....



After 2 minutes, I still did not float above the cushion and the next thing that happened .... I was suddenly holding this in my hand .....



Yahoo! Sightseeing time :) Slipped into my jeans and jacket and out I went ....

I spent 2 days and 2 nights at Koyasan and it was definitely a good getaway from the big cities. Click here to see the photos that I took at Koyasan.

No comments: